Saturday, March 22, 2014

Say "Yes" to the (Secondhand) Dress


One of the things I have watched many of my friends who have gotten married tackle is the dress.  It can be a very important element to a wedding and I've seen it approached in all kinds of ways.  Some gals could really give two shits about finding the "perfect" dress and yank something out of their closet to wear day of.  Others fret and fret and FRET over finding THE dress.  For some ladies it's not something they overly think about until they hit the dressing room and for others (including our favorite forensic anthropologist) they have hung on to that fairy tale dress design since they were 8 years-old. 
Can I get a "D'AWWWWWWW!!" right about here?
In keeping with the heart of remaining sustainable and resisting buying something new, I've been keeping my eye out at the local thrift stores in the Peoria area and today I found it: a simple floor-length number with a vintage design, plenty of room in the fabric for "give" in case I put on a few pounds and enough material to work with in case I want to bring it up to tea-length, which I will probably do.

The idea of purchasing a used dress has become an option for a lot of brides.  While the concept of wearing an heirloom gown has always been there, finding a gown in a consignment store, flea market, garage sale or thrift store is becoming the way to go for the bride who wants to pop some tags and save some green, both kinds.

This guy knows what I'm talking about.
I found my dress at the local Salvation Army Family Thrift Store.  For twenty bucks, son.  She needs some work, I will admit: a few stitches, dry cleaning, alterations, etc.  But in all honesty, what dress doesn't?  I tried it on and fell in love.  And the little old ladies who rung me out were thrilled.

I am not ignorant to the way some brides view secondhand dresses.  They want their dress to be as personal and unique as their wedding day.  Why would any bride want to get married in another woman's dress?  Why was that dress at a thrift store or a garage sale?  Did the marriage end?  Did the wedding even occur?  Is the dress "cursed?"  Valid points, sure, but think of it this way: IF that is even the case, wouldn't you like to give that dress a second chance at happiness?  Or maybe the woman selling the dress is still married and wants to share the love and joy she has made in her home that started with that dress.   Something to think about about.

Either way, the dress will become YOUR dress.  I'm going to need mine adjusted, taken in at some places, let out in others, maybe a new accent brooch where the one is now that could be a bit more my style.  At one time this was another bride's dress, but today it became mine and it will shine one for a second glorious day.  And I couldn't be more thrilled with giving that kind of encore.



No comments:

Post a Comment