Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What Really Grinds My Gears: The Guest Book

Welcome to the first of what might become MANY of my big complaints about the wedding industry and just how many people get suckered into stuff they don't need or can do better.  AKA:


Today's big beef: the guest book.  

I know of very few couples who even look at their guest book after the wedding.  And if you're having a pretty small affair then you maybe fill two pages and that's it: done.  It's a huge waste and can be done better.

Thankfully we're not the only couple who feel this way and the Internet has spoken.  Fingerprint people, posters, butterfly or balloon cutouts, river stones, wine corks, vinyl records and recipe cards are some of the alternatives to the guest book.  Randy and I have started kicking around the idea of creating an original piece of art together for our guests to sign at the wedding.  Afterwards we can have it professionally framed and hung in the house so we have the pleasure of looking at it everyday instead of being tossed in a drawer like most guest books.

"But, Angi," you may say, "I want to know who actually came to the wedding for thank you cards!"  No prob!  A simple notebook lying around in your junk drawer (I know you have one) or a Notepad app on your tablet device can take care of people signing in without the waste and expense of the traditional guest book.

So that's it for "What Really Grinds My Gears" today.  Haven't decided what's gonna grind my gears next, but the wedding industry is a HUGE business with plenty to grind so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! We bought a cute journal for the guest book and totally forgot to put it out. Now I have a great sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the subject a bit, but I used to have a friend that had one of those plastic light box construction toys in his house similar to laser pegs and everyone that came to visit had to add a piece to it when the came in the door. Of course he also had Pink Floyd's Meddle playing on a continuous loop on his 8 track 24/7. It was the early 70's, what can I say.

    ReplyDelete